Important Dates for The 2022 Tax Season
Here are the critical dates listed by the IRS that taxpayers should remember for the 2022 tax season:
IRS Free File is now available. Taxpayers may begin submitting returns through IRS Free File partners beginning January 24; tax returns will be submitted to the IRS starting on the 24th.
This is the due date for tax year 2021 fourth-quarter estimated tax payment.
The IRS officially begins the 2022 tax season. Individual 2021 tax returns begin being accepted and processing begins.
January 28th is Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day. This is to raise awareness of tax credits that are available to many people. In 2022, you also have the option to use prior-year income to qualify.
Due date for corporations and partnership returns.
Due date for filing 2021 tax return or requesting an extension and paying tax owed is extended due to the Emancipation Day celebration in Washington, D.C., even for individuals who live outside the area.
This is the due date to file taxes for those requesting an extension on their 2021 tax returns.
Steps you can take now to make tax filing easier in 2022
The IRS recommends that taxpayers take the following steps to avoid processing delays and expedite refunds:
- Organize and collect your 2021 tax data, including Social Security numbers, Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers, Adoption Taxpayer Identification Numbers, and the current year’s Identity Protection Personal Identification Numbers that are valid for the calendar year 2022.
- Check IRS.gov for the most up-to-date tax advice, such as how to reconcile advance Child Tax Credit payments or claim a Recovery Rebate Credit for missed stimulus payments. There is no need to make a phone call to the IRS and stay on hold for hours.
- Access personal tax account information, including balances, payments, and tax records by registering or logging in securely at IRS.gov/account.
- To avoid a tax bill and related penalties, make your final anticipated tax payments for 2021 by Tuesday, January 18, 2022.
- Individuals can utilize direct deposit with a bank account, prepaid debit card, or mobile app, and must supply routing and account numbers.
- When you’re ready, file an electronic return with RWB Tax Services that’s full and correct, and choose direct deposit for the fastest refund.
Make Tax Filing Easier in 2022 With These Steps
Make Sure You’ve Withheld Enough Taxes
If you owed taxes or received a substantial refund last year, you may want to modify your withholding. Changing your withholding can save you money on taxes and allow you to retain more money each payday. In addition, changes in life, such as marriage or divorce, the birth of a child, or the addition of a second job, may necessitate a change in withholding.
Use the Tax Withholding Estimator to determine how much tax should be withheld from your paycheck. If you need to alter your withholding and submit a new Form W-4 to your employer, use this tool on IRS.gov.
Gather and Organize Your Documents
Tax documents that are organized make it easier to prepare a correct tax return. It assists you in avoiding errors that cause processing delays, which slow down your return, and it may also help you locate previously overlooked deductions or credits.
Wait to file until you have all of your tax records, which may include the following:
- W-2 Form from any jobs you worked in 2021
- You may receive a 1099 form from a bank, issuing agency, or another payer. Examples include unemployment compensation, dividends, and distributions from a pension, annuity, or retirement plan.
- Form 1099-INT if you were paid interest
- Form 1099-K, W-2, 1099-MISC, or a different income report if you were self-employed or working in the gig economy in 2021, along with any virtual currency transaction records
Contact an Experienced Tax Professional in Villa Rica, GA
Our team at RWB Tax Services has over 50 years of combined experience. For over 13 years, they’ve helped clients in Villa Rica, Douglasville, Carrollton, and West Georgia get the largest tax refunds legally.
You can trust RWB Tax Services to complete your taxes correctly, on time, and at a reasonable cost. We can help you avoid costly tax mistakes in Georgia so you can prevent thousands of dollars in tax penalties. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us by calling 770-459-9980 today.